Including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives in your reading lists is only a first step in developing a learning environment where Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and staff see themselves reflected.
Other possible steps include:
- Review other Australian university course reading lists.
- Reconsider how modes of assessment, physical spaces, and extra-curricular activities could be designed to improve diversity. For example, you might ask students to develop a diverse reading list on a particular topic as an assignment.
- Learn from what colleagues and strategic initiatives across the university are already doing.
- Develop forums for discussing these kinds of issues directly with students.
- Review progress at intervals to reflect on what is going well and where there are areas for continued development. Every time you write a module review, it is an opportunity to reflect on how the process of diversifying your reading list is working.
- Encourage and celebrate significant dates and events across the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander calendar.