Skip to Main Content


Information about conferences, how to find them and evaluate their suitability.

Useful hints for students

Students involved in research are usually encouraged to attend and to present at conferences. It presents many benefits and provides an opportunity to build their CV and connect with potential future employers and supervisors.

There are various opportunities for UQ students to participate in local conferences free of charge. Many Schools and Institutes run conferences and student conferences (often co-organised by students), see UQ Events and School websites for further information.

If you are an HDR student, familiarise yourself with the Higher Degree by Research Candidature Policy . This policy sets out HDR candidates’ expectations of UQ in relation to their training and correspondingly UQ’s expectation of HDR candidates.


Some conferences offer (often competitive) travel grants for students at the time of abstract submission. There may also be awards for best student presentation at the conference that can be used to offset some costs.

UQ Scholarships  provides information about scholarships and how to apply for them. Use the drop down menus to choose categories and the search box to narrow the search to conferences.  It is important to read about  each scholarship as the requirements and conditions vary. 

From the UQ Scholarships page use the side menu to limit searching to a study area.  There are scholarships available for Postgraduate Coursework students and Higher Degree Research students.

UQ Scholarships also list travel scholarships.  Check the Travel checkbox (under Funding type in the filters) to show a list of available scholarships. 

UQ Research has information on funding schemes  which also includes UQ advancing women researchers grants.

UQ Experiences, Careers and Employability provide information on UQ Sponsorship Grant.

Individual faculties and schools also provide support for travel and attending conferences. Check with the appropriate research administrators at the faculty or school for more information.